Zero-waste Witchcraft: Oranges
You don't need to use perfect, fresh ingredients for every spell, some magick works just as well when done with items you can no longer consume. The orange is a perfect example of this, as when left their skin goes dry and becomes more malleable.
Orange is one of the most useful and easy to acquire ingredients in Witchcraft. They are associated with fertility, healing, prosperity, luck, success and confidence magick. In addition, they have strong associations with the Goddess Gaia and God Enil.
Here is why you should never underestimate this fruit...
Make your own orange oil recipe:
- 1 orange
- Oil (we recommend coconut for this method) 3/4 cup
- Wash and dry your orange. Then zest or cut the skin into small slices depending on how fresh your orange is.
- Then place the zest or peel into a pan with oil, either directly in the pot or using a ban-marie method. Let it simmer on low heat for around 20 minutes.
- Once you have taken your mixture off the heat, leave to cool. Then leave for 24 hours.
- Strain the mixture and store in a air-tight glass container and use straight away.
This oil can be used to anoint candles for use in spell work, burn in your oil burner or to add to any money jar spells. Never consume this oil or use it on your skin.
Make your own orange candle:
Sometimes you may be working spell unexpectedly and do not have a candle or you just want the delicious scent of fresh orange to surround you with out having to spend any money.
- 1 whole orange
- Olive oil (enough to fill 3/4 of your orange)
- Cut the top of the orange, make sure you cut the more uneven side of the orange as you want to candle to stay upright.
- Hollow out the inside of the orange, leaving the centre -this will be your wick.
- Fill with olive oil and light the centre. If your orange is particularly juicy we suggest waiting for it to dry out a little so it lights.
- Then light the centre! You now have your very own zero-waste candle.
Make an orange prosperity candle:
Oranges are often used in money-drawing spells, make a money-attracting candle with only 3 ingredients.
Always practice fire safety when dealing with a naked flame.
- Orange peel
- White tealight
- Light your tealight and let it burn for around 30 seconds. Cut your orange peel into very small pieces.
- Blow out the candle and press in your pieces of orange people into the melted wax.
- Take a pinch of cinnamon and sprinkle this onto the candle.
- You now have a prosperity candle. Light this candle when conducting money spells to encourage money to be drawn to you. You can also carry the peel in your purse along with a bay leaf to attract money.
Use as a spell vessel:
Some witches choose to bury their spells, this is often done with banishing and protection spells. Orange are a perfect vessel for this as they decompose straight into the ground.
- 1 orange
- Chosen spell ingredients
- Ribbon or string
- Cut the top of your orange and hollow it out completely and leave it to dry if needed.
- Add in all your ingredients to your spell, as you would a spell bag or spell bottle.
- To seal you can create holes in each side of the orange peel with scissors or a knife and thread through ribbon or string and tie.
- You can then bury your spell without any worry of its effects on the environment.
Use as Incense:
Many witches choose to burn incense during meditation, spellwork and rituals. Citrus peel especially orange can be a good natural alternative. Orange has the power to lift spirits, cleanse the space and raise magickal vibrations.
- 1 orange and peel
- Fireproof dish
- Wash and dry your orange and peel.
- Cut the peel into chunks and then leave outside overnight in order to dry.
- Place the peels on a fireproof dish and light them.
Orange oils are flammable so the peels often burn longer. If you are not able to light the peel you can also leave the dried peels in a bowl to create a homemade potpourri.
Make your own smudge stick
Many witches choose to use a smudge stick, often made from sage too cleanse themselves and their space. Bay leaf and oranges also has strong cleansing properties and are very easy and affordable to source.
Bay leaf (20-30 depending on the size of smudge stick)
Dried orange peal
Twine or string
Fresh flowers or charms for decoration (optional)
1. Peel your orange keeping it as big a piece as possible. Wash and dry the skin, then leave to dry. This can be done by putting them in the oven on a low heat from 30 minutes or leaving on a plate for around 2 days.
2. Take your leaves and place them one top of each other until you make the desired size. Then take your twine and wrap it around the leaves until they are tightly bundles. Tie the the twine tight.
3. Break or cut long strips of the orange peal and push into the twine, or extra twine if you are not able to do this.
4. You can then decorate your smudge stick by adding a pentagram charm around the base or adding in wild flowers such as lavender.
You now have your very own smudge stick that you can light whenever needed.
If you try any of these tips we would love to see the results, find us on Instagram under Witchbox_UK or on Fabebook as Witchbox.